About the Team…
The University of Connecticut’s Equestrian Team is part of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA). The IHSA competitions offer a variety of levels for students to compete. From those in their first year of riding, to students with extensive show experience, there is a division for everyone. We are a team of about 30-40 members and accept riders of all riding levels and abilities.
How does IHSA work?
For each show, we travel to the hosting barn as a team. The points gained by each rider are given to the individual as well as the team. Points are determined by the placement received in the class each rider competes in. All riders are drawn a horse at random to show.
UConn Equestrian is a part of IHSA Zone 1 Region 5, along with Central Connecticut State University, Connecticut College, Fairfield University, Post University, Sacred Heart University, Trinity College, the United States Coast Guard Academy, Wesleyan University, and Yale University.
Our season consists of ten shows a year and we compete during both semesters. At Regionals, the top two riders from each division can qualify to compete at Zones. Teams can also qualify as a whole for Zones by winning their region during their season.
What is the commitment?
As a team member, responsibilities include:
- Participation in UConn Horsebarn Practicum
- Attendance at all horse shows deemed mandatory
- Tending to designated “Care Pony” regularly (mane pulling, clipping, grooming, etc.)
- Attendance at all team meetings (generally one per week)
- Attendance at community service events
- Participation in all fundraising events
- Participation in team clinic